College Blog
WEEI.com Blog Network

Colin Kaepernick reportedly can’t get a job because NFL teams ‘genuinely hate him’

03.17.17 at 3:50 pm ET
By
The 49ers released Colin Kaepernick after the 2016 season. (Gary A. Vasquez/USA Today Sports)

The 49ers released Colin Kaepernick after the 2016 season. (Gary A. Vasquez/USA Today Sports)

NFL teams are so desperate for quarterbacks these days, the Bears signed backup signal-caller Mike Glennon to a three-year, $45 million contract. But Colin Kaepernick, despite leading the 49ers to a Super Bowl just four years ago, can’t find a job. Apparently, that’s because many league executives think he’s toxic.

According to Bleacher Report’s Mike Freeman, Kaepernick could remain a free agent for the bulk of the offseason. An unnamed AFC general manager told him 30 percent of teams either don’t think Kaepernick can play or are afraid of the backlash they would face after signing him. The GM says the other 70 percent just plain out despise him, presumably because of his decision to kneel during the national anthem last season to protest social inequality and police brutality.

“The rest genuinely hate him and can’t stand what he did. They want nothing to do with him. They won’t move on,” the anonymous executive said. “They think showing no interest is a form of punishment. I think some teams also want to use Kaepernick as a cautionary tale to stop other players in the future from doing what he did.”

While Kaepernick is limited as a quarterback –– he only completed 59.2 percent of his passes last season –– he played well down the stretch for the moribund 49ers. Kaepernick posted a 101.1 QB rating over the final four weeks of 2016, throwing for six touchdowns and only one interception.

Earlier this month, ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported Kaepernick intends to stand for the “Star-Spangled Banner” next season. Given this report, it’s easy to surmise why he probably came to that decision. Kaepernick seems to be paying a price for speaking his mind.

Read More: Colin Kaepernick,